Skip to content
International Student Services

Replace your I-20 or DS-2019


International Student Services (ISS) can issue a replacement I-20 or DS-2019 if yours is lost, damaged, or stolen. Reprinted I-20s and DS-2019s are tracked in SEVIS by the Department of Homeland Security, so you should request a replacement only if your I-20 or DS-2019 has been lost, stolen, or damaged.

If you need an updated  I-20 or DS-2019 because information on the current document has changed—such as a program extension, change of funding, change of degree level, etc.—please review the “Changes & Updates” links for instructions.

How to Request a Replacement I-20 or DS-2019

  1. To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged I-20 or DS-2019, submit the Travel Signature & I-20 Reprint Request in your MyISSS profile.
  2. Allow time for ISS processing.
  3. You will receive an email from ISS when your document is issued. The new I-20 or DS-2019 will have a travel signature. You can access your I-20 via your MyISSS Profile and will receive pick-up or mailing instructions for your DS-2019.

How to Request Copies of Your Old Documents

  1. Submit the Document Copy Request form.
  2. Allow time for ISS processing.
  3. ISS follows a records retention schedule of 6 years. We may be unable to fulfill requests placed by individuals whose most recent interaction with the University took place more than 6 years ago.

Procedure for Requesting a New Passport and F-1 or J-1 Visa

Lost or stolen passport: Report the loss to the local police and obtain a copy of the police report.

Replacement passport: Contact your country’s consulate. They may require a police report if your passport was stolen.

You must have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa to return to the U.S.

  • Passport is lost or stolen outside of the U.S.: Apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. consulate after you obtain a replacement passport.
  • Passport is lost or stolen within the U.S.: Obtain a new F-1 or J-1 visa the next time you travel internationally in order to return to the U.S. You can remain in the U.S. without the F-1 or J-1 visa.

Mailing Procedures

While outside the U.S.

ISS only mails documents by standard airmail. If you would like your replacement I-20 or DS-2019 sent by express mail, you have the following options:

Coordinate and pay for express mailing through eShipGlobal

  1. Go to eShipGlobal and create an account.
  2. Once your account is activated, login and select “Receive a Package from Universities” on your home screen.
  3. In the University Search field, enter “University of Washington – Seattle Campus” or click WA on the map and then select “University of Washington – Seattle Campus.”
  4. For department, select “International Student Services.”
  5. Complete the following pages with your contact and payment information. In the “Reference/Comments” section please write what you are requesting ISS to send (Replacement I-20/DS-2019).
  6. Include the eShipGlobal order number in your ISS request form.
  7. After the payment has been received and processed, eShipGlobal will notify ISS via email that the air bill is ready to be printed. Once we receive that email, we will print your airway bill and send the document via the express service you selected. You will receive a notification email once we have shipped your document. The tracking will be updated 24-48 hours after it is processed.
  8. If you have questions about how to use this service, please email eShipGlobal directly at

In-Person Pick-up

Arrange for a friend to pick up the document from ISS on your behalf. Contact ISS and include the full legal name of your friend so they can be authorized to pick up the document. Your friend will need to bring their photo identification to pick up your document. Your friend is then responsible for mailing the new document to you.

Academic Departments

Graduate students: Contact your academic department to make sure they are willing to pick up the document from ISS and express mail it to you.