Skip to content
International Student Services

Transferring Sponsorship to UW


You may be able to transfer sponsorship of your J1 visa to the University of Washington if you meet certain requirements. The process can be complicated, so be sure to speak with both your current sponsor and UW International Student Services so that you can plan ahead.

How to Apply

Applying for Transfer to UW

You should talk with your current sponsor about transferring your sponsorship to the UW. You may need to consider the following:

  • Will the transfer affect your funding?
  • Are there any restrictions to transferring your sponsorship?
  • What is the process and timeline for your current sponsor to transfer your sponsorship to the UW?

After talking with your current sponsor, you should speak with ISS about the timeline and process of transferring your sponsorship to the UW and getting an updated DS-2019. Some factors to consider:

  • If your funding changes, will you be eligible to remain under the J status?
  • What documentation will you need to transfer your sponsorship?
  • Is your current DS-2019 ending? Do you need to extend?
  • What is the timeline for transferring to the UW?

After talking with ISS, you will need to submit the Transfer of Sponsorship to UW request through the MyISSS portal. You will need the following items or information:

  • Current sponsor information
  • Transfer Release date
  • Expected graduation date
  • Funding information
  • Copy of passport
  • Copy of current DS-2019
  • Copy of funding resources

Please allow 3-4 weeks for UW to process your request. Once processed, you will receive a confirmation email along with a UW DS-2019. You will need to complete the J-1 Immigration Check-in once we have transferred your record to the UW.