Skip to content
International Student Services

Post-completion Academic Training

Looking to work after your studies?

J-1 students who want to work after their studies must request authorization. The most common type of authorization is Post-completion Academic Training.

What is academic training?

Academic Training is training related to your field of study; it requires authorization from ISS. Training could be in the form of a job, internship, research position, cooperative education position, or other opportunity to obtain experience that furthers your academic objective. Academic Training can be paid or unpaid. Pre-authorization from ISS is always required.

When to Apply & Time Limits

  • You must apply for Post-completion Academic Training before the expiration of your DS-2019.
  • Post-completion Academic Training must begin no later than 30 days after completion of studies.
  • You must have an offer for a training opportunity before you submit your Academic Training application to ISS (authorization is specific to your job/internship/training opportunity)
  • Academic Training is limited to 18 months or the length of your academic program (enrollment), whichever is shorter. This includes training both before and after completion of studies. The total training period may not exceed the amount of time spent in the full course of study. For postdoctoral training, the overall limit is 36 months.
  • You must receive Academic Training authorization from the ISS office before starting your training activity (internship or job).


You are eligible to apply for Academic Training authorization if you:

  • Are currently in J-1 status sponsored by UW (students sponsored by outside organizations, such as Fulbright, must contact their J-1 sponsor for Academic Training information).
  • Are primarily in the U.S. to study rather than engage in academic training
  • Are in good academic standing at UW
  • Have an offer for a training opportunity directly related to your major field of study. For visiting exchange students, the training opportunity must relate to the classes you take at UW. Use campus resources like the Career & Internship Center or your academic department to find opportunities.
  • Already discussed with your UW academic adviser your planned academic training opportunity, and provide them in advance with the necessary information to help with your Academic Training application to ISS. The following additional information is provided for your review.

How to Apply

J-1 How to Apply for Post-completion AT

Obtain a job offer. The job offer must be on official letterhead and signed by the employer.

Contact your UW academic adviser; be sure they have the necessary information to complete the adviser section of the application.

The academic advisor will complete the advisor section of the online application. By doing so, they are recommending your academic training approval. They must provide the following information:

  • The goals and objectives of the specific academic training program
  • How the academic training relates to your major field of study
  • Why it is an integral or critical part of your academic program
  • Academic Training site (name of organization/employer providing training)
  • Academic Training address
  • Name of training supervisor
  • Number of hours per week
  • Start and end date of training

Need help finding your academic contact?

Program Type Who to Contact
Students in a UW degree program Academic department adviser
Visiting exchange students through an academic department Academic department adviser
Visiting exchange students through general College of Arts and Sciences/UW Study Abroad UW Study Abroad office Adviser: Sarah Berryman,

Pay the $85 Post-Completion Training fee.
Save a copy of your e-mail receipt – you will be required to upload a copy in the application.
This is required for first-time applicants, not post-completion Academic Training extensions. For more information about the fee, review our Post-Completion Training Fee page.

Apply for post-completion Academic Training through MyISSS. Processing times are about 3 weeks, so please plan accordingly. Once your AT has been approved, you will receive a confirmation email and issued a new DS-2019.

Other Considerations

J-1 Status

When ISS approves post-completion Academic Training for you, we extend your DS-2019 for the training period. This extends your J-1 status within the U.S. ISS will continue to provide advising related to your J-1 status, including travel signatures, travel questions, Academic Training extensions, if applicable, etc.

J-1 Visa Validity

The J-1 visa stamp in your passport is separate from your J-1 status within the U.S. It is common for the J-1 visa to expire earlier than the DS-2019. It’s okay to remain in the U.S. with an expired J-1 visa stamp as long as your DS-2019 is valid and you are actively participating in your Academic Training activity.

However, if you leave the U.S., you must apply for a new J-1 visa before you can reenter the U.S. to resume your Academic Training activity. (Exceptions may apply for short trips to Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean islands, except for Cuba). ISS can extend your DS-2019, but we cannot extend your J-1 visa stamp. J-1 visas can only be obtained at a U.S. consulate or embassy outside the U.S. Please plan accordingly if you will travel internationally during your Academic Training period.

UW Status

After your studies end at UW, you are no longer eligible for various UW student services that are funded by enrolled student fees. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • IMA access
  • Eligibility for on-campus housing
  • ISHIP or GAIP insurance coverage (There may be exceptions such as for students who purchased the annual ISHIP option; be sure to consult the applicable insurance office on campus for details)