Skip to content
International Student Services

Campus Resources

The University has many resources which may benefit your experience while studying here. The following resources will help in areas ranging from academic support, wellness, and safety, equity and diversity support, campus life, to career advice.

Academic Resources

Academic Resources

The UW Libraries offers online Citation Styles & Tools to assist in citing and managing sources for a variety of papers.

CLUE is a free, late-night, multidisciplinary study center. The undergraduate mission is to provide high-level academic support for the full range of UW undergraduates, from those who are under-prepared to those who are advanced.
Locations: Mary Gates Hall – Commuter Transfer Commons in the HUBOthello Commons
Website: CLUE Center

The Odegaard Writing & Research Center offers help for papers for courses. OWRC also helps with personal writing such as application essays, cover letters, oral speeches, group papers, personal statements, resumes, and articles for publication.

The Targeted Learning Communities within the Odegaard Writing and Research Center supports cohorts of multilingual (international) undergraduate and graduate students to develop their reading, writing, and professional skills and navigate American classrooms and cultures.
Locations: Odegaard Library | Allen Research Commons | Health Sciences Library | College of Education
Website: Odegaard Writing & Research Center

UAA is available to talk to all undergraduate students at UW regarding academic plans. UAA will work with you to plan your schedule, understand the requirements for your intended major, to match your academic interests with opportunities at the UW, and help you to integrate your academic and career plans.
Location: 141 Mary Gates Hall
Phone: 206-543-2550
Website: Undergraduate Advising

Emergency Resources

Emergency Resources

Call 9-1-1 for Ambulance, Police, or Firefighter Help
The 911 emergency number is answered by an operator who will ask about your emergency. The operator will send the appropriate assistance to you–an ambulance, police, firefighters, etc.–as fast as possible. This number should not be used for situations that are not emergencies. If you are unsure whether your situation is an emergency, it is better to call. The operator will transfer you to the appropriate resource for non-emergencies.
Dialing 9-1-1 from a campus telephone: will automatically be routed to UW Police.
Dialing 9-1-1 from a cellphone while on the UW Campus: It is important to tell the operator that you are calling from the UW campus in order to be connected with UW Police.
Dialing 9-1-1 from off-campus: The operator will direct the call to the appropriate off-campus emergency unit or agency.

For suggestions on how to prepare for and respond to large-scale emergencies, like earthquakes, severe storms, fires, etc., visit UW Emergency Management. Their website provides extensive information, including preparing for the following:

Contact Your Consulate

If there is ever a large-scale emergency in the region where you are, call your home country’s local consulate to check in. They will be happy to hear that you’re safe, and they may be able to pass that knowledge along to friends and family back home, even when you cannot because of the emergency. Your consulate may also have specific information for you regarding your home country’s response to the emergency or specific services that they can provide you. The most accurate list of foreign consulates in the U.S. is at the Department of State.
Contact Info for Foreign Embassies and Consulates


The UW Counseling Center has provided a useful guide for when there is a natural disaster in your home country while you are studying at UW.

Other Useful Emergency Sites

These are some sites with further suggestions on how to prepare for large-scale emergencies. These sites are maintained by the federal or county government and non-profit preparedness agencies. The University of Washington is not responsible for its contents.

  •, a federal website about emergency preparedness, is maintained by the Department of Homeland Security. The site’s motto is “Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed.”
  • Regional Public Information Network (RPIN) is a one-stop resource for news alerts from government, transportation, utility, health, and emergency response agencies in King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties. With the motto “Be in touch. Stay in touch,” RPIN keeps the public informed about street and highway closures, weather, major transit disruptions and provides updates on what agencies are doing to respond to emergencies and incidents. The public also can sign up to receive e-mail alerts and pager headlines from RPIN partners and get helpful tips to prepare for emergencies.
  • King County’s Office of Emergency Management also maintains thorough information about preparing for disasters and emergencies.

Property theft is an occasional and unfortunate fact of life anywhere. There are steps you can take to prevent theft and also to help get your things back if they are stolen. The UW Police has several crime prevention tips that could help.

Stolen passport, I-94 card, immigration documents
Report the theft to the police and contact an ISS advisor.

The University of Washington has developed UW Alert to disseminate official information via email, text messages, telephones, loudspeakers, website banners, and other means to keep the campus community informed during emergencies and situations that might disrupt normal operations.

Website: UW Alert

The University of Washington Police Department actively collaborates with our community to create a safe and secure campus through education, problem-solving, and enforcement. We use innovative practices, continuing training and partnerships to provide professional public safety services, thereby reducing crime and the fear of crime. In doing so, we foster and maintain an environment that supports the well-being of our students, staff, faculty and visitors.

Location: UW Police Station
Non-Emergency Phone: 206-685-8973
Anonymous Tips: 206-685-8477
Business Phone: 206-543-0507
Website: UW Police Department

Employment & Financial Resources

Employment & Financial Resources

The Career & Internship Center helps UW students find purpose; build helpful skills, experience, and relationships; tell their stories through resumes, interviews, etc.; and find both jobs and internships.  They provide online resources, webinars, career fairs, coaching appointments, and more.

Location: 134 Mary Gates Hall
Phone: 206-543-0535
Website: Career & Internship Center

Overview of employment options available for international students.
Website: ISS Employment & Internships

Overview of financial resources available to international students.
Website: ISS Financial Information

OSFA has counselors available to speak with you about aid options, including grants, loans, scholarships, and general guidance for money management.
Location: 105 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-543-6101
Website: Student Financial Aid

All matters relating to tuition charges, student account payments, and student account fees are handled through Student Fiscal Services. Students may also inquire about tax forms at Student Fiscal Services as well.
Location: 129 Schmitz Hall
Website: Student Fiscal Services
Phone: 206-543-4694
Tax Inquiries:

Emergency aid options include grants, emergency food assistance, short-term loans, and campus & community resources.
Website: UW Seattle Emergency Aid & Emergency Aid Request Form

Health & Student Support Resources

Health & Student Support Resources

CIRCLE streamlines critical support for international students so that they thrive at UW and in the global economy.
Location: 250 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-685-4004
Website: CIRCLE

The Counseling Center provides brief, confidential, personal counseling to UW students at no charge. Services include individual or group counseling and are designed to support student development and address life challenges that may interfere with academic success.
Location: 401 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-543-1240
Website: Counseling Center

Hall Health Center is the main healthcare clinic for University of Washington students and staff. They are the primary point of contact for all medical needs, including illnesses and medical emergencies. Be aware that Hall Health can be crowded and it is best to make an appointment for non-emergency services.
Location: Hall Health
Phone: 206-685-1011
Website: Hall Health Center

  • For a serious medical emergency and cannot make it to a hospital on your own, call 911 for an ambulance.
  • For an urgent medical problem that is not life-threatening, you can go to an emergency room. While primary healthcare clinics are often open only during the day, Monday through Friday, local hospitals have emergency rooms open 24 hours a day. UW Medical Center and Harborview Medical Center offer emergency care, as do other local hospitals.

This website, designed by and for UW students, is a one-stop resource for all health and wellness-related resources on campus.
Website: Husky Health & Well-Being

Free, confidential counseling service on a first-come, first-served basis. Drop-in counseling is especially good for students who are unsure about counseling and want to understand what it’s like.
Website: Let’s Talk

SafeCampus is the University of Washington’s Violence Prevention and Response Program. They support students, staff, faculty and community members in preventing violence. SafeCampus provides support and training to those who experience harassment, assault, or abuse, or who notice concerning behaviors in others.
Location: Elm Hall
Phone: 206-543-6085
Website: LiveWell

If you encounter or suspect incidents of bias, you are encouraged to file a report, which will be reviewed by the UW’s Bias Incident Advisory Committee. Whenever possible, bias reports will be reviewed within two to four business days.
Website: Reporting Bias Incidents & Reporting Bias Tool

SafeCampus is the University of Washington’s Violence Prevention and Response Program. They support students, staff, faculty and community members in preventing violence. SafeCampus provides support and training to those who experience harassment, assault, or abuse, or who notice concerning behaviors in others.
Phone: 206-685-7233
Website: SafeCampus

Student Legal Services is an on-campus law office that provides confidential legal advice and representation to UW-Seattle students.
Location 306 HUB
Phone 206-543-6486
Website: Student Legal Services

The Ombud provides the highest quality, client-focused services for preventing, managing and resolving conflict among students, staff, and faculty of this University. If a student has attempted to resolve an issue with the relevant instructor or office and still cannot get resolution, the UW Ombudsman is the next step.
Location: 339 HUB
Phone: 206-543-6028
Website: University Ombud

The UW School of Dentistry has several dental clinics here on campus. Choose from the UW Dentistry Faculty Practice, where expert faculty dentists provide care, the teaching clinic where dental students perform care under the supervision of faculty for a reduced fee, or one of many specialty clinics, such as Orthodontics. All your oral health care needs can be provided at the UW School of Dentistry, and many of the School of Dentistry clinics are in-network providers for students with ISHIP and GAIP. Contact a clinic to schedule an appointment.
Located in the Health Sciences Center, access the School of Dentistry website to make an appointment.

Housing, Food, & Family Support Resources

Housing, Food, & Family Support Resources

Offers non-perishable bulk foods at low cost to UW students. Find staples like dried oats, rice, dried fruit and spices.
Location: 131K HUB
Website: The Bean Basket

Open three days a week in Poplar Hall. Anyone with a Husky ID may access the pantry. Appointments for urgent need are also available and can be set up via email.  Food Security grants are available to help students meet short-term, immediate needs. The grant is a $100 allotment on a Husky card intended for emergency assistance to purchase food from a UW Housing & Food Services facility.
Location: 210 Poplar Hall
Website: UW Food Pantry

Assists UW Seattle students in covering the costs of licensed childcare for their children (ages birth – 12 years old) while enrolled in an eligible program of study.
Location: 105 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-543-1041
Website: Childcare Assistance Program

There are options for on-campus housing for students studying at the University of Washington. On-campus housing is usually reserved for underclassmen in Freshmen and Sophomore standing.
Location: 210 Lander Hall
Website: Housing and Food Services

Practical Matters

Practical Matters

Any matters or questions regarding the UW Husky Card and its uses can be found at the Husky Card website and office. Husky Card services are managed by Housing and Food Services.
Location: Ground Floor Odegaard Undergraduate Library

Website: Housing and Food Services

The Office of the University Registrar provides administrative services to students, faculty, and staff including but not limited to: coordinate course registration, provides students’ academic transcripts, provides enrollment verification for students, administers the Residence Classification Office, and coordinates the distribution of undergraduate, graduate, and professional diplomas.
Location: 2nd Floor Schmitz Hall
Website: Office of the University Registrar

It’s easy to get to the University of Washington by bus or commuter train. More than 60 bus routes serve the U-District, including many that drive onto the campus itself. You can also take the train or light rail to downtown Seattle, then jump on a bus for a quick ride to the University.

The U-PASS is your ticket to ride on all six Central Puget Sound transit agencies – Metro Transit, Community Transit, Sound Transit, Pierce Transit, Everett Transit and Kitsap Transit – anytime, anywhere. U-PASS also gives you full fare coverage on light rail and on the Sounder commuter train. Sounder provides a quick commute option from Tacoma or Everett. Link light rail provides service between Tukwila and downtown Seattle.

Location: Transportation Services
Website: Transportation Services
UPASS Webpage: U-PASS Services

Additionally, services like UW Night Ride and Husky Night Walk are available for students when on campus alone and need someone to accompany them safely home.

Social Activity Resources

Social Activity Resources

FIUTS offers year-round activities and trips that provide great opportunities for making new friends and having fun. FIUTS is an organization on UW Campus which connects university students to local and global communities through programs that build international awareness, cross-cultural communication, and informed leadership.

Location: 250 Schmitz Hall
Phone: 206-543-0735
Website: Foundation for International Understanding Through Students

The Student Activities Office (SAO) seeks to provide students with the opportunities, resources and support necessary to explore and expand their personal interests, build relationships and work with others, develop skills and experiences, grow as individuals, and have fun while at the UW. The SAO has resources for many student interest clubs and activity groups on campus called Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), which are open for all UW students to join.

Location: 232 HUB
Phone: 206-543-2380
Website: Student Activities Office
RSO Directory: RSO Directory

UW Student Life is comprised of 17 units and offices – each with a goal of supporting our student’s success while here at the UW and beyond. You will find information about services and programs to help navigate the University, stay physically and mentally healthy while on campus, meet friends and network, develop career paths, investigate housing options, register for classes, manage finances, explore scholarships, and much more.

Location: 101 Gerberding
Phone: 206-543-4972
Website: Student Life