On This Page:
I’ve arrived. What now?
- Step 1: Obtain your I-94
- Step 2: Update your MyUW account with your U.S. address and U.S. phone number.
- Step 3: Enroll full-time
- Step 4: The U.S. government requires you to complete an Immigration Check-in which can be done through MyISSS
- Step 5: If working on campus, submit a Social Security Number (SSN) Letter request in MyISSS.
- Step 6: Receive new I-20 with Travel Signature
|Starting Quarter||Online Check-In Opens||Check-In Deadline|
|Autumn Quarter 2023||August 28, 2023||September 27, 2023|
Next Steps Help
Step 1: Wait 3 business days after entry to the U.S.
Step 2: Go to the Customs and Border Protection I-94 website and Use the “Get Most Recent I-94” menu tab.
Step 3: Check for accuracy. Confirm your I-94 has “D/S” and “F-1″ or “J-1″
Problem? If you have an issue with your I-94, report this to International Student Services.
- Avoid Rejection! Contact information problems are the most common reason a student fails the check-in process.
- Use the MyUW Contact Info Update Guide to avoid common problems.
- Rejected check-ins endanger your status with the U.S. government. ISS will put a registration hold on your university account if this process is not done correctly.
- Match your address with the U.S. Post Office’s database.
Need help? Watch this video created by CIRCLE.
ISS cannot register your immigration record until you meet enrollment requirements. You must enroll by October 10, 2023 or ISS will place a hold on your university account.
- Undergraduate students – 12 credits each quarter
- Graduate students – typically 10 credits each quarter
Please reach out to your academic advisor or department for help registering for classes.
If working on campus, request an SSN Letter from ISS. This will be issued only after we have processed your Immigration Check-in, so please wait until that is done.
Read more about the SSN application process.
After processing your Immigration Check-in, ISS will issue you an updated I-20 with a travel signature valid for 1 year. We will email you once this travel signature is posted to your MyISSS account.
In MyISSS, you will find “Registration” and “Immigration Check-in” requests under “Completed Requests.”