Skip to content
International Student Services

Academics (J-1)

We want you to succeed at the UW. Always consult both your departmental advisers and ISS to ensure that your academic plans and immigration status do not conflict.

Academic Dismissal

Students who are dismissed from the university may no longer be eligible for a UW DS-2019.

Read more

Academic RCL

You may request reduced course load authorization due to limited academic challenges.

Read more

Change of Degree Level

If you are moving to a higher degree level, you will need to request an updated DS-2019

Read more

Enrollment Requirements

J-1 students are required to follow certain enrollment requirements.

Read more

Extending Studies

If you need additional time to complete your studies, you must request an extension to your DS-2019.

Read more


Final Quarter RCL

If you are graduating, you can request authorization to enroll in only your remaining credit.

Read more

Medical RCL

You may request reduced course load authorization due to a documented medical reason.

Read more

Program Completion

If you are completing your program, you have a few options to consider for your next steps.

Read more

Transferring Schools

Leaving the UW for another school? You may need to transfer your immigration record.

Read more