Skip to content
International Student Services

Change of Level (J-1)


You were admitted to the United States to complete a specific educational program as reflected on your DS-2019. If your academic program will change, you must request an update to your SEVIS record and obtain an updated DS-2019. In updating your SEVIS record, International Student Services (ISS) notifies the government that you are beginning studies at a new degree level.

Change of Level Instructions

Change of Level Steps

If you are sponsored by UW, you must log into your MyISSS portal and submit the J-1 Change of Level request. If you are sponsored by a third-party organization, you must request an updated DS-2019 from them. Your request must be submitted before the Program End Date listed on your DS-2019.

ISS cannot issue your updated DS-2019 until the completion of your current program. Though you may submit your J-1 Change of Level well in advance, we will not update your DS-2019 until your current program is done.

If you are working on campus, you may need to provide your employer an update to your status.