Skip to content
International Student Services

Employment & Training (J-1)

During your studies, you may have opportunities to supplement your academic program with training experiences.

Employment is defined as “work performed in exchange for compensation.” Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Most employment opportunities require authorization. Working without authorization has serious consequences and can impact your ability to study, travel, or work in the U.S. throughout your life.

On-campus Employment

J-1 students are authorized to work on campus but must report this to ISS prior to starting.

Read more

Off-campus Employment

J-1 students who want to work off campus during their studies must request authorization.

Read more

Post-graduation Employment

J-1 students may be authorized to work after the completion of their academic program at the UW.

Read more

Serious Economic Circumstances

You may apply for employment authorization that is necessary because of serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances.

Read more

Social Security Numbers

A Social Security number (SSN) is issued to track earnings over a worker’s lifetime.

Read more


International students are required to file taxes annually.

Read more