Skip to content
International Student Services

Change of Address


Federal regulations require you to notify Immigration of your address in the United States within ten days of any change. You must have both a local and permanent address on file with the UW. Through MyUW, you can direct your mail (including your UW diploma) to your local or permanent address.

Local address refers to your address in the Seattle area.
Permanent address refers to an address outside the U.S.

Local Address Update

F-1 Students

Enrolled in UW Classes

The U. S. government checks international student addresses are correct using computer software.

  1. To avoid problems with the government check, carefully review Contact Information Update Guide
  2. Make changes through Student Personal Services

Students on OPT

Make changes using the U.S. government’s SEVP Portal.

If you do not have access to the SEVP Portal to make the update, please submit the change in address through the SEVP Portal Help request in MyISSS.

J-1 Students

  1. Carefully review Contact Information Update Guide
  2. Make changes through MyUW
  3. If your DS-2019 was issued by an organization other than UW, contact your program sponsor to update your address

Permanent Address Update

All international students in F (student) or J (exchange visitor) status are required by law to report their permanent address outside the U.S. to the government, and update the government within 10 days of any change. The permanent address can be a relative’s or friend’s residential address. It cannot be a U.S. address, university department address, or business address.

Update Your Permanent Address through MyISSS.
Log into MyISSS