International Student Services

Name Change

The name on your I-20 or DS-2019 must match the name on your passport. If you change any part of your legal name—first/given name, middle name, or last/family name—on your passport, you must request an updated I-20 or DS-2019.

Updating Records For Legal Name Changes

  1. Change your name on your passport.
  2. Change your name in the UW student database by following the Registrar’s Name Change Policy instructions. This step is necessary for your transcripts, diploma, and other university records to reflect your legal name change.
  3. After you change your name with the Registrar, submit the Have a Question form on the navigation bar to the right to request an updated I-20 or DS-2019 to reflect your legal name change. Allow 10 business days for ISS processing.
  4. Review your F-1 or J-1 visa. If your current student visa is still valid, you can continue to travel with the valid visa (issued in your previous name) as long as you carry documentation of your legal name change when traveling. Immigration officials will need to see documentation of both names at the port of entry. If your student visa is expired, or if you want the visa to reflect your new name, follow the normal procedures for applying for a new visa using your new passport and I-20.