Skip to content

Tips for Filing Taxes

F and J international students are required to file taxes with the U.S. government. This can be a complicated process. Luckily, international students, scholars, and alumni can use an online service, Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), to help! While ISS advisers and staff are not able to provide guidance on filing taxes, we do have a few tips and resources.

Tip 1: Learn about filing taxes

Our webpage on Filing Taxes lays out the basics of filing taxes. This includes who needs to file, how to file, and resources to help you file. Go ahead and read through the material ahead of time so that you’re prepared when the time to file comes.

Tip 2: Use Glacier Tax Prep

ISS staff are not tax advisers. But, we provide students free access to an online program that will make filing taxes simple. GTP will walk you through some basic questions to determine how and what you must file with the government. The software is now live!

Tip 3: Attend our Tax Workshop on Filing Taxes

In partnership with the UW Law Federal Income Tax Clinic, ISS is hosting a Tax Workshop. In this non-resident tax session, you will gain a general, foundational knowledge of how the US tax system operates. Students will understand the steps they need to take to properly file their taxes and the resources available to them to do so.

Tip 4: Explore other resources

We know filing taxes can be complex and confusing. If you are having trouble completing the process, there are several resources that might be able to help. Consider attending a session with UW VITA. New this year, GTP will also host assistance sessions to help you with using their software.

Live GTP Help

GTP provides Q&A Sessions which allows you to ask a question to a Tax Professional .

See schedule


The UW Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program provides free tax help and preparation including preparing non-resident returns.

Read more

Tax Clinic

The UW School of Law Federal Tax Clinic assists low-income individuals throughout Western Washington resolve disputes with the Internal Revenue Service.

Read more