You can request permission to register part-time or take the quarter off for a documented medical reason.
Accepted Healthcare providers must be a licensed medical doctor, psychiatrist, doctor of osteopathy, licensed psychologist, or clinical psychologist.
How to Apply
- Meet with your healthcare provider.
- Request a letter to recommend a medical reduced course load. Review the Medical RCL Letter Template, if needed.
- Letters may be written only by accepted healthcare providers. If your provider is a Registered Nurse Practitioner (RNP) or another medical professional, there must be a second signature from an accepted healthcare provider.
- The letter must be on official letterhead and/or have an official seal to be approved by an ISS adviser.
- Request a Reduced Course Load for Medical Reasons through MyISSS. You must upload a copy of your medical RCL letter.
- Allow 2-3 weeks for ISS processing.
- You must request the RCL and receive approval from your ISS adviser by the end of the quarter in which you need the approved RCL.
- A medical RCL is allowed for a maximum of four quarters.
- You will receive a new I-20 if your ISS adviser approves your RCL request.