Skip to content

Making Academic Progress

F and J international students are expected to make academic progress during their studies, but what exactly does this mean?

The UW issues I-20s and DS-2019s for the average time it takes students to complete your degree program. During this time, you should maintain full-time enrollment and work towards the completion of your program by the end date listed on your document.

We encourage you to discuss with your academic adviser your degree plan so that you can complete your program within the timeframe of your immigration document.

Extending Your Immigration Document

Of course, sometimes students need more time to finish their degrees. If you enroll full-time each required quarter and still need more time to complete your program requirements, you can extend your I-20 or DS-2019 with the approval of your department and ISS. You should apply for an extension of your immigration document well before the end date so that it does not expire. Once your I-20/DS-2019 expires, it cannot be extended.

However, ISS will not extend your immigration documents for reasons that are not required to complete your degree.

Does Failing a Class Affect My Status?

Failing a class does not immediately affect your immigration status. However, you are expected to make progress towards your degree. If you continue to struggle academically, the university may place you on probation or suspension which could affect your immigration status.

What If I Complete My Program Early?

If you complete your studies early, great! ISS encourages you to apply for graduation and possibly Post-completion OPT (F-1) or Academic Training (J-1) if eligible. We hope you will read through our Final Quarter Checklist.