Skip to content

Taking an Alternate Vacation Quarter

Most students take a vacation quarter during the summer. However, sometimes you may want to take a vacation quarter a different quarter to take a break from studies or go home and visit family. In this case, you will need to apply for an Alternate Vacation Quarter.

What is a vacation quarter?

Immigration regulations allow one vacation quarter each year. This is an annual exception to the full-time enrollment requirement. Most students are eligible for and take their vacation quarter during the summer.

While on a vacation quarter:

  • Your immigration record remains active;
  • You are not required to enroll full-time but can still enroll if you’d like;
  • You can continue to work on campus or apply for CPT; and
  • You can stay in the United States or travel outside the country.

How can I take an Alternate Vacation Quarter?

To be eligible for an Alternate Vacation Quarter (AVQ), you must have registered full-time in the prior 3 consecutive quarters.

If you would like to take a vacation quarter in Autumn, Winter, or Spring, you must receive authorization from ISS. You can request authorization by submitting the Alternate Vacation Quarter request in your MyISSS portal.

Is there anything else I should know about AVQs?

Taking an AVQ means that you will need to register the following Summer quarter, so please do not forget this or you may jeopardize your immigration status.