Skip to content

International Organizations

Overview | How to Apply | Other Considerations


As an F-1 student, you may work for a qualified international organization, as defined by the International Organization Immunities Act of December 29, 1945. If you have an offer from an employer on the List of International Organizations you may apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). For more information, consult Study in the States or USCIS.

How to Apply

Consult an adviser in International Student Services (ISS) to discuss your situation before requesting an I-20 in MyISSS. Your adviser will determine your eligibility and assist you in completing and submitting the application to USCIS. Required documentation includes:

  • Form I-765 (write (c)(3)(ii) in item 16)
  • Form I-765 filing fee paid by money order, personal check, cashier’s check, or credit card using Form G-1450, Authorization for Credit Card Transactions. If you pay by check, you must make your check payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
  • Photocopy of Form I-20, bearing the ISS adviser’s recommendation for employment with an international organization
  • Two passport style photos
  • Photocopy of I-94 card (front and back)
  • Written certification from the international organization that your employment is within the scope of their sponsorship;
  • Photocopy of passport identification page
  • Photocopy of visa page
  • Photocopies of any previously-issued EAD cards.

Application processing times vary between two to four months. If approved, USCIS will issue an EAD for a maximum of one year. Do not begin working until you receive the EAD. You may work part-time or full-time but must maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during your employment. This employment does not affect your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Employment authorization is automatically terminated if you fail to maintain status or transfer to another school.

Other Considerations

  • Applying to work for work authorization for an international organization is a complex process. Your employer may suggest or require that you change to G-1 status, a nonimmigrant status reserved for employees of international organizations.
  • Your ISS adviser may also advise you to continue in F-1 status as your F-1 employment benefits may be impacted.