International Student Services

Washington State ID or Driver License


The Washington State Department of Licensing (DOL) issues driver licenses and identification (ID) cards for people residing in Washington State. A driver license provides permission to drive in Washington and serves as official identification. The ID card does not authorize driving, but serves as official identification. It can be useful to have legal identification from Washington for activities such as banking, domestic travel, proving your age (such as at 21-and-over venues), etc.

Driver License or Identification (ID) Card Application

If you plan to drive, visit the DOL website to find out how soon you must obtain a Washington driver license (you may be able to use your license from home for a temporary period). Review the DOL instructions for getting your first WA license. If you do not plan to drive but would like official Washington state identification, visit the DOL website for instructions on obtaining a Washington identification card.

You will note in the application instructions that some applicants must provide proof of Washington residence. If you do not have any of the documents listed that serve as proof of Washington residence, the UW can provide you proof of your Washington address. If you live in campus housing, go to the Housing and Food Services (HFS) Office in Lander Hall and request proof of your address.

If you live off-campus request a SEVIS printout from ISS, which will serve as proof of your WA address. Allow 7-10 business days for ISS processing. You will receive an email when your SEVIS printout is ready for pick-up. You can then take this printout to the nearest DOL office, along with the other required documentation, to apply for your driver license or ID card. Leave the printout in its sealed envelope.