Skip to content

Special Student Relief for Students from Hong Kong

The Department of Homeland Security announced that students from Hong Kong will be granted Special Student Relief if they are impacted by the crisis in Hong Kong. Here is a summary of what is listed in the Federal Registry Notice:


  • You must have been in F-1 nonimmigrant status as of January 26, 2023, to be eligible for SSR.
  • You must be experiencing severe economic hardship as a direct result of the current crisis in Hong Kong.

What will SSR Provide You?

  • If you apply for SSR and are approved by USCIS, you will be eligible for off-campus work authorization.
  • You may take less than a full course of study.
    • Undergraduates may enroll in 6 credits to be full-time.
    • Graduate students may be enrolled in 3 credits to be full-time.
  • You may take online courses toward your program of study.
    • Undergraduates may take one course (up to three credits) of an online course to be full-time.
    • Graduate students could be in only one online course (if it is three credits) and be considered full-time.

How can you apply? 

If you are a student from Hong Kong and you’re experiencing severe economic hardship due to the crisis in Hong Kong, please visit our drop-in advising session to speak with an advisor. Then, we will help you start the process for requesting SSR with ISS.