International Student Services

Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)

Do you have a UW scholarship? You might need to apply for an ITIN.

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) is issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which is the U.S. tax collection agency. The number is for nonresidents who need to file a tax return because of taxable income (like some scholarships) but are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). SSN are only issued to nonresidents who are employed. For more information, see IRS Publication 1915.

Who needs an ITIN?

You should apply for an ITIN if:

  1. You are in F-1 or J-1 status; and
  2. You do not have an SSN; and
  3. You do not plan to work on campus or apply for CPT or OPT soon (if you work on campus or apply for off-campus work authorization through ISS, you will need to apply for an SSN); and
  4. You receive a scholarship/fellowship stipend directly paid to you through Student Fiscal Services/the UW.
  5. You receive non-employment income from a U.S. source that is taxable.
  • Non-employment income can be scholarships, fellowships, grants, or non-employment stipend payments. These can be taxable if they are greater than the cost of tuition and fees.
  • If you are allowed to study tuition free or for a reduced rate of tuition, you may not have to pay tax on this benefit. This is called a “tuition reduction.” Qualified tuition reductions aren’t taxable non-employment income. You won’t need an ITIN for this.

Note: the ISS office can only provide ITIN support letters for students receiving scholarships/fellowships from the UW. If you or your spouse need an ITIN to file a tax return because of other taxable non-employment income, you will need to apply for the ITIN directly to the IRS along with your tax return.

How to Apply:

1. Submit to the ISS front desk the following documents:

-Completed ITIN Request Form
-Photocopy of documentation related to your non-employment scholarship, fellowship, grant, or stipend (email printout okay if documentation was emailed to you)

Allow 7-10 business days for ISS processing. ISS will prepare ITIN support letters for you and will contact you when the support letters are complete.

2. When you receive email notification from ISS that your ITIN support letters are complete, call ISS at 206-221-7857 or email to schedule an appointment for “ITIN notary.”

3. Bring the following documents to ISS for your “ITIN notary” appointment
-Original I-20 or DS-2019
-Valid passport containing F1 visa or J1 visa
-Photocopy of your scholarship award letter (email printout okay if your scholarship offer was emailed to you)

When you arrive at the ISS office for your appointment, check in at the ISS front desk and request  to pick up your ITIN support letters. An ISS advisor will notarize your documents.

4. Email the UW ITIN office at to schedule an appointment with them. They will help prepare final ITIN application.