"Employment" is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations. Note that the off-campus employment opportunities generally require you to have completed one academic year (three quarters) to be eligible to apply for authorization. Consult an ISS adviser with any questions related to F-1 status and employment.

F-1 status allows the following five categories of employment:

Having trouble deciding between CPT and OPT? This handout will help you figure out which to use.

Changing from the F-1 student visa to an H-1B employment visa:

Obtaining a Social Security Number