SEVIS record maintenance by ISS is supported by currently enrolled students through their UW tuition and fees. Alumni are no longer enrolled during the OPT or AT employment period; therefore, they will be charged a fee to cover ISS reporting requirements during the OPT/AT employment authorization.
Benefits of the Post-Completion Training Fee include:
- Development of improved educational materials about training authorization, including webinars, information sessions, and self-learning tools
- Improved communication and outreach to alumni during their post-completion employment authorization
- Processing of travel signatures
- Processing of Cap-Gap I-20 requests
- Federally required address and employment reporting requirements
- Improved support for graduating students and alumni seeking OPT or AT
- Improved and more efficient processing of employment benefits documents
- Improved web content relatedt to training authorization
Who Pays the Fee?
Post Completion Training Fees apply only to students at the Seattle campus. UW Tacoma and UW Bothell students should not pay the Post Completion Training Fee.
- Graduating students or alumni in F-1 status who apply for the initial post-completion 12-month OPT work authorization
- Individuals who apply for post-completion OPT authorization with thesis or dissertation remaining. Any student applying for OPT or AT under the I-765 code (C) (3) (B) is required to pay the fee. The U.S. government requires the same processing and reporting requirements from UW ISS whether or not the final thesis or dissertation has been submitted.
- Alumni in F-1 status who apply for the additional 24-month STEM OPT extension authorization.
- J-1 visa holders who apply for Academic Training authorization for training that continues or begins after academic program completion (either graduation or end of exchange studies).
The Post-Completion Training Fee will be collected by International Student Services when graduating students apply for one of the following U.S. government training authorization programs:
|Post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT)||$85||Touchnet Payment|
|Post-completion Academic Training||$85||Touchnet Payment|
|24-Month STEM OPT Extension||$200||Touchnet Payment|
- The Post-Completion Training Fee cannot be refunded.
- The only exception to the refund policy is if the graduating student submits their OPT or AT materials to ISS and it is determined that the individual is not eligible to apply for OPT or AT.
- The amount of the refund will be the fee payment minus $5.00 for processing fees.
- Refunds will not be granted for those individuals who change their mind about requesting an endorsed I-20/DS-2019 after payment of the fee, submitting OPT applications late to USCIS, delays by USCIS, denial of OPT by USCIS, withdrawal of an application, failure to graduate, or any other reasons.
A new application submission for any reason will require a new Post-Completion Training Fee payment.