Skip to content

Department of State Extends SSR for J-1 Students from Ukraine

Summary On October 31, 2023, the Department of State announced that the U.S. government and the government of Ukraine have agreed to extend Special Student Relief (SSR) to J-1 students from Ukraine through April 19, 2025. The original SSR notice was set to expire on October 23, 2023.  What is Special Student Relief? Special Student Relief (SSR) is the suspension of specific immigration regulations for J-1 students who face unexpected hardship due to a situation in their home country. SSR…

All about Social Security Numbers

Written by Jennifer Oppliger A Social Security Number (SSN) is a number that identifies U.S. citizens and other selected residents. Noncitizens can generally only receive SSNs if they are employed in the U.S. An SSN is used to track your annual income. The Social Security Administration (SSA) is in charge of the SSN application process. How do I apply for an SSN if I am working on-campus? Receive an on-campus employment letter. Submit an “SSN/ITIN Support Letter” request in MyISSS….