Skip to content

When to Update Your DS-2019

During your studies at the University of Washington, you will likely have updates to your DS-2019. You should keep a copy of every DS-2019 for your permanent records.

The following types of updates will require you to get a new DS-2019.

Program Extension

If you are unable to complete your course of study before the completion date noted on your DS-2019, you must request an extended DS-2019 before your current DS-2019 expires. For more information and instructions, review Program Extension information.

Changing Schools

You must register full-time at the UW since UW is the school listed on your DS-2019. If you decide to transfer to another school, contact ISS prior to completing your final quarter at UW. For information about transferring your SEVIS record to the new school, submit a request via the Contact ISS form.

Change of Level

If you will complete your current program of study and plan to continue at the University of Washington in another program (for example, change from a Master’s degree program to a Ph.D. program), your DS-2019 must be updated. For more information, review Change of Level information.

Change of Funding

If there is a substantial change in the source or amount of your funding, report this change to ISS and a new DS-2019 will be issued to you. For example, if you receive a Research or Teaching Assistantship through your department, but your DS-2019 indicates that you have only a government scholarship, you should request a new DS-2019.  For more information, review Change of Funding information.

Name Change

The name on your DS-2019 should match the name on your passport. If you change any part of your legal name—first/given name, middle name, or last/family name—on your passport, this change should be reflected on your DS-2019. Conversely, if you want a different name on your DS-2019, ISS will wait for you to change your passport first, before updating the DS-2019. Note that SEVIS is a separate database from the UW database. Information and instructions on changing your name in the UW database is provided in the Name Change Policy.