International Student Services

May 7, 2020

Transfer Your SEVIS Record Before Changing to a New School!

Are you graduating from UW in spring and starting a new degree at another U.S. school in summer or autumn? Or are you transferring from UW to another U.S. school at the same degree level?

Admission to a new school does not by itself authorize an international student in F-1 status to begin studying full-time at the new school. To maintain your SEVIS status and continue your studies in the U.S., you need to transfer your SEVIS I-20 record.

You must request your current school (UW) to transfer out/release your F-1 SEVIS I-20 record to your new school before you can begin full-time studies there. Your new school will then issue you a new I-20 for continued studies in the U.S. at the new school.

The U.S. government calls this process a SEVIS transfer, which is different from an academic transfer. To start the process and learn more, visit Transferring Your SEVIS Record.