International Student Services
Tax Workshops for International Students
International Student Services cannot advise on taxes; we are immigration specialists, not tax specialists.
However, ISS purchases a tax software program, Glacier Tax Prep (GTP), for F and J students to use to prepare their non-resident income tax returns. We offer the Q&A sessions and GTP workshops to assist students in the use of the software only, not to answer tax questions. The software program will assist with tax questions and tax filing. In addition, Student Fiscal Services offers tax information workshops.
Glacier Tax Prep Workshops
Step-by-step presentations on how to use Glacier Tax Prep: logging in, creating a password, and printing your tax return. Glacier Tax Prep is easy to use. However, if you feel that you need additional assistance with the program, please come to one of the following workshops. We are not able to answer tax questions but we will log into the program and go step by step through the program so that you understand how to use it.
Space is limited so pre-registration is required.
Dates & Times:
Thursday, April 13, 2017, 1:30pm – 3:00pm
Sign Up: April 13
Location: Allen Library Auditorium, 1st floor
- Your laptop
- Passport copy
- Latest I-94 record and travel history showing your entry and exit dates to the U.S. for the past five years
- Tax forms from your employer; if you worked for UW, here are the instructions to access your UW employment tax form:
- If you work on campus, go to the website “MyUW.”
- From “MyFrontPage” go to “Quick Links” and click on “Employee Self-Service (ESS).”
- You will be asked to login in with your UW netid again.
- Once you are logged into “Employee Self-Service” click on “Taxes” near the top of the screen.
- Find the heading “Retrieve Wage and Tax Information for a year listed below.” Click on “2016.”
- This will take you to another screen. Make sure it says “Tax Year: 2016” and then click “Print Tax Forms.”
- You will be able to print the tax forms 24 hours later.
The forms you print may be different from your friends as each person’s tax situation may be slightly different.
If you worked off campus with CPT or OPT authorization, your employer should have given your tax forms to you by the end of January 2017. If you did not receive them, contact your off-campus employer.
Tax Question & Answer (Q&A) Sessions
International Student Services cannot advise on taxes; we are immigration specialists, not tax specialists. We offer the following question and answer (Q&A) sessions to assist students in the use of the software only, not to answer tax questions. The software program will do that.
During the Q&A sessions:
- An ISS advisor will be available to answer all questions related to the scheduled topic.
- Students can come in any time during the hour.
- Students can stay for a portion or the entire time.
- There will not be a formal presentation.
- Pre-registration is not required.
Dates & Times:
Wednesday, March 29, 2017, 2:30pm – 4:30pm
Friday, April 7, 2017, 10:00am – 12:00pm
Monday, April 17, 2017, 1:30pm to 3:30pm
Location: Schmitz Hall 490
Student Tax Workshops by Student Fiscal Services (SFS)
Student Fiscal Services (SFS) office offers tax workshops to help international students understand the tax forms they received and share some updated tax information from the IRS. No pre-registration needed.
Odegaard Library Room 220:
April 12, 2017, 2:30pm – 3:30pm
For more information regarding the workshops, please visit the tax page for Student Fiscal Services. For current assistance, please visit our tax resources. If you have specific tax questions, please contact Student Fiscal Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 206-221-2609 for assistance.