International Student Services

Permanent Resident Approval: Notify ISS


Many students transition from F-1 status to become a U.S. permanent resident (Green Card holder). If you become a U.S. permanent resident, ISS must terminate your electronic F-1 SEVIS record. You are not required to notify ISS while your adjustment of status is pending (not yet approved) if you will continue to enroll full-time and maintain F-1 status.

Please note that ISS advisers are not immigration attorneys and do not have the expertise to advise about how to become a permanent resident. For questions about eligibility and applying for a Green Card, review the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services information and/or consult an immigration attorney.

When to Notify ISS

Notify ISS of the following situations:

  1. Your permanent resident status is approved.
  2. You travel internationally and use your advance parole document to reenter the U.S.
  3. You have a pending application for adjustment of status and you want to take a leave of absence or withdraw from your studies. If you do not register full-time and do not qualify for one of the exceptions to the full-time enrollment requirement, ISS cannot keep the F-1 SEVIS record active.

In this scenario, you should consult an immigration attorney. ISS advisers are not immigration lawyers. We do not have the expertise to advise you about possible consequences, if any, of the decision to abandon the F-1 status before your permanent resident status is approved.

How to Notify ISS

Update Your Immigration Status