International Student Services

H-1 to F-1 - Change of Nonimmigrant Status

Contact International Student Services (ISS) as soon as you know you must obtain F-1 status in order discuss your options. This change of status within the U.S. can be especially challenging, and it is often best to travel, apply for an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.


  1. Review your options for obtaining F-1 status. Decide which option to use: “Travel and Reentry” or “Change Status in the U.S.”
  2. Schedule an appointment with your assigned International Student Services (ISS) adviser to discuss your plans to obtain F-1 status.
  3. Obtain an I-20 from UW.
    If you have recently been admitted to the UW, request your I-20 from the Admissions office.
    If you are currently already studying at the UW in H-1B status and wish to obtain F-1 status, submit the online I-20 request to ISS. You will be asked to upload a copy of your passport biographical page and financial documentation.


    Allow 10 business days for ISS processing. You will receive an email from ISS when your I-20 is ready for pick up.

  4. Prepare the required documents and follow next steps for obtaining F-1 status (details below).

Option 1: Travel and Reentry

Review the ISS Visas page. Plan your travel and F-1 visa appointment accordingly. You can enter the U.S. with your I-20 and F-1 visa no earlier than 30 days before the I-20 start date.

Option 2: Change of Status in the U.S.

Submit your application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by mail.
(The online USCIS ELIS application option is no longer available).

Mail the following documents to the USCIS Lockbox.

  • Form I-539
  • USCIS filing fee: check or money order payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
  • Original I-94 card or photocopy of admission stamp and paper printout of I-94 record
  • Photocopy of the visa page and identification page in your passport
  • Photocopy of the signed I-20 issued in your name by the UW
  • Detailed evidence of financial support, such as a bank statement
  • Photocopy of your H1-B Approval Notice (I-797)
  • Photocopy of your I-94 (front and back) or I-94 electronic printout
  • A letter from your employer verifying that you are maintaining H1-B status
  • Detailed letter requesting and explaining the need to change status
  • Photocopy of proof of payment of SEVIS fee


The regulations prohibit working on campus until the change to F-1 status is approved.

You must be able to maintain your H-1 status up until your F-1 status is approved. If your H-1 status will expire prior to your F-1 approval (and the timing is difficult to predict), your application will most likely be denied. Even though you are allowed to stay in the U.S. while the application is pending, if your application is likely to be denied, it will be better for you to travel, obtain an F-1 visa abroad, and reenter the U.S. in F-1 status.

In addition, you cannot continue working in your H-1 approved job after your F-1 status is granted.

Your foreign, non-U.S. address must be listed in the permanent address field in the student database. If this field currently shows a U.S. address, please complete our permanent address reporting form and we will update the student database in accordance with the F-1 regulations.