International Student Services

May 7, 2020

Off-Campus Summer Internships

Are you interested in getting permission to work off campus in a job related to your degree? Are you planning to find an internship (paid or unpaid)? If so, you will need to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a form of work authorization for current students. Review CPT information about who can qualify for CPT and how to apply. You can also complete our online CPT Orientation Course to learn more about the process.

If you will remain in the U.S. over the summer and plan to do work remotely, you must apply for CPT authorization. You are permitted to do remote work (work from home) in the U.S. for your CPT activity during the current COVID-19 situation. If you already applied for CPT and your work changes to remote work due to COVID-19, you are not required to update your I-20 or report this information to the ISS. However, we do recommend you keep documentation of your remote work for your personal records. Please see additional FAQs about CPT on the ISS COVID-19 webpage.