International Student Services

December 6, 2019

Emergency Information over Winter Break

UW International Student Services’ normal business hours are Monday – Friday from 10am to 4pm. Over Winter Break, ISS will be closed on Dec 25 and Jan 1. If you have an immigration concern during our closed hours, below you can find a list of common concerns with links to more information.

I am in the U.S. now, but will be traveling abroad and do not have a valid travel signature.

How To Obtain a Travel Signature In Seattle

I forgot to get a travel signature before leaving the country.

How To Obtain a Travel Signature From Outside the Seattle Area

What if I do not have enough time to receive a new document with a valid travel signature before returning to the U.S.?

Emergency Travel

I applied for a new visa and was told that my visa will be delayed due to “administrative processing.”

  1. Contact the academic adviser or Graduate Program Coordinator in your department to inform them of your situation.
  2. Email your course instructors if you might arrive after the quarter starts.
  3. Ask your major adviser and/or your course instructors to find out the latest possible date that you can return to successfully complete the quarter.
  4. If you have a campus job, contact your work supervisor.
  5. If the delay prevents your ability to return for the quarter, then visit and complete the Have A Question form for immigration options.

Immigration resources

Health resources


In a life-threatening emergency, call 911 to reach Seattle Police Department emergency services.

For urgent medical needs

Visit the UW Hall Health Center website or call for Hall Health nurse advice at 206-221-2517.

For urgent medical advice when Hall Health is closed, call the 24-hour Community Care Line at 206-744-2500.

For urgent mental health needs:

Visit UW Counseling Center or call 206-543-1240

If you are experiencing a psychological crisis when the Counseling Center is closed, call the Crisis Clinic at 866-427-4747.