International Student Services (ISS) can issue a replacement I-20 or DS-2019 if yours is lost, damaged, or stolen. Reprinted I-20s and DS-2019s are tracked in SEVIS by the Department of Homeland Security, so you should request a replacement only if your I-20 or DS-2019 has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
ISS will not print replacement documents for the purpose of travel only. If you exit the U.S. and realize you forgot to obtain a travel signature prior to departure, you must mail your current I-20 or DS-2019 to ISS to be signed for travel.
If you need an updated I-20 or DS-2019 because information on the current document has changed—such as a program extension, change of funding, change of degree level, etc.—please review the "Changes & Updates" links for instructions.
Procedure for Requesting a Replacement I-20/DS-2019
- To replace a lost, stolen, or damaged I-20 or DS-2019, request a replacement from ISS.
- Allow 7-10 business days for ISS processing.
- You will receive an email from your ISS advisor or the ISS office (firstname.lastname@example.org) when your document is ready for pick up.
Procedure for Requesting a New Passport and F-1 or J-1 Visa
- If your passport is lost or stolen, report the loss to the local police and obtain a copy of the police report.
- Passport replacement: contact your country's consulate. Please note they may require a police report if your passport was stolen.
You must have a valid F-1 or J-1 visa to return to the U.S.
If your passport is lost or stolen outside of the U.S., you must apply for a new F-1 or J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. consulate after you obtain a replacement passport.
If your passport is lost or stolen while you are inside the U.S., you must obtain a new F-1 or J-1 visa the next time you travel internationally in order to return to the U.S. You can remain in the U.S. without the F-1 or J-1 visa.
Mailing Procedures (if you are outside the U.S.)
If you are outside the U.S., note that ISS only mails documents by standard airmail. If you would like your replacement I-20 or DS-2019 sent by express mail, you have the following options:
Coordinate and pay for express mailing through eShipGlobal:
- Go to eShipGlobal and create an account.
- Once your account is activated, login and select "Receive a Package from Universities."
- In the University Search field, enter "University of Washington" or click WA on the map and then select the University.
- For department, select "International Student Services." Complete the following pages with your contact and payment information.
- After the payment has been received and processed, eShipGlobal will notify ISS via email that the air bill is ready to be printed. Once we receive that email, we will print your air way bill and send the document via the express service you selected. Email email@example.com after you have set up your shipping and let us know that you wish for us to send your I-20/DS 2019 via express mail.
- If you have questions about how to use this service, please email eShipGlobal directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange for a friend to pick up the document from ISS on your behalf. You must email your primary ISS adviser with the name of your friend so he/she can be authorized to pick up the document. Your friend is then responsible for mailing the new document to you.
- (Graduate students) Contact your academic department to see if they are willing to pick up the document from ISS and express mail it to you.